Courtesy of NMSU
LAS CRUCES, N.M.– The New Mexico State women’s tennis team won its second Western Athletic Conference dual-match of the weekend, against Chicago State, 6-1, on Saturday at the NM State Tennis Complex.
The Aggie improve to 9-5 overall and 2-0 in WAC play, while the Cougars fall to 2-15 overall and 0-2 in WAC play.
NM State’s leader in singles’ Susana Alcaraz was absent for today’s match, leaving Aggie head coach Ivan Fernandez to construct a new singles and doubles line-up.
Junior Ashvarya Shrivistava and senior Denise Van Der Ben were moved-up to the No. 1 doubles’ spot, while Erika Castillo Lopez and Mia Brandt played at the No. 2 spot.
The Aggies got things started by sweeping doubles’ play. Shrivistava and Van Der Ben won, 8-1, whlie Lopez and Brandt clinched the point with an 8-1 victory. Freshman Rimpledeep Kaur and sophomore Marie-Pier Thiffault completed the sweep with an 8-5 win.
NM State continued its strong play in singles.
Shrivistava picked-up her eighth singles’ win of the spring with a 6-2, 6-4 victory over Hanna Pangestu.
After taking Alcaraz’ spot at the No. 2 court, Kaur upended Carynne Loyd, 6-2, 6-2.
At the No. 3 spot, Van Der Ben claimed a 6-2, 6-3 victory over Matea Roki.
Lopez and Brandt also earned singles’ wins respectively.
“We were very solid in the singles. Everyone had to move up 1 position but they adjusted very well controlling 5 of the 6 singles matches,” Fernandez said.
It took three sets for the Cougars to get on the board. Marnie Perez-Ochoa defeated Thiffault, 3-6, 6-3, 6-1 to claim the lone Chicago State point.
Saturday was NM State’s second-consecutive victory over the Cougars.
The Aggies will end the opening WAC weekend by hosting Seattle U on Sunday at 10 a.m. The dual-match will be at the NM State Tennis Complex and free to the public.
Chicago State at NM State Women’s Tennis
March 21, 2015 Las Cruces, N.M.
1. Ashvarya Shrivistava (NMSU) def. Hanna Pangestu (CSU) 6-2, 6-4
2. Rimpledeep Kaur (NMSU) def. Carynne Loyd (CSU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Denise Van Der Ben (NMSU) def. Matea Roki (CSU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Erika Castillo Lopez (NMSU) def. Faith Huckabee (CSU) 6-4, 6-4
5. Mia Brandt (NMSU) def. Lorea Gamboa (CSU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Marnie Perez-Ochoa (CSU) def. Marie-Pier Thiffault (NMSU) 3-6, 6-3, 6-1
1. Shrivistava/Van Der Ben (NMSU) def. Pangesta/Roki (CSU) 8-1
2. Lopez/Brandt (NMSU) def. Huckabee/Gamboa (CSU) 8-1
3. Kaur/Thiffault (NMSU) def. Perez-Ochoa/Loyd (CSU) 8-5