Courtesy of NMSU
LAS CRUCES, N.M.– The New Mexico State women’s tennis team defeated Missouri-Kansas City 5-2 on Friday to open Western Athletic Conference play at the NM State Tennis Center.
Friday was the Aggies’ third consecutive home victory, and their seventh win in the last nine dual-matches.
NM State improves to 8-5, while the ‘Roos fall to 6-8.
The Aggies continued their strong doubles’ play, as they swept the doubles’ point against UMKC.
NM State’s No. 1 duo of senior Susana Alcaraz and junior Erika Castillo Lopez defeated Maddie Schulte and Dimitra Stravrianakou, 8-4.
Senior Denise Van Der Ben and junior Ashvarya Shrivistava clinched the doubles’ for the Aggies with a 8-6 decision over Allie Schulte and Amelie Amsaliem.
The Aggies completed the doubles’ sweep at court No. 3 when freshman Rimpledeep Kaur and sophomore Marie-Pier Thiffault beat Marina Albert and Ammar Mouhoub, 8-5.
In singles, NM State got strong performances in the first four courts.
Shrivistava, the Aggies’ No. 1 individual, claimed a 6-4, 6-0 victory over Stravrianakou, while at court No. 2 Alcaraz defeated Maddie Schulte, 6-3, 6-1. Kaur came back from injury to win 6-3, 6-4 over Albert, and Van Der Ben handled Mariam Kurasbediami, 6-3, 6-1.
UMKC’s two only points came when Raquel Argenal beat Lopez, 4-6, 6-4, 7-5, and Allie Schulte downed Thiffault, 2-6, 6-3, 6-4.
“The losses at No. 5 and No. 6 were both three-set matches that could have gone either way,” NM State head coach Ivan Fernandez said. “I am glad that we put ourselves in a position to win every match today even though not all of them went our way.”
The Aggies will host Chicago State on Saturday at 10 a.m., for the second contest of a three-match WAC home stand.
Missouri-Kansas City at NM State Women’s Tennis
March 20, 2015 Las Cruces, N.M.
1. Ashvarya Shrivistava (NMSU) def. Dimitra Stavrianakou (UMKC) 6-4, 6-0
2. Susana Alcaraz (NMSU) def. Maddie Schutle (UMKC) 6-3, 6-1
3. Rimpledeep Kaur (NMSU) def. Marina Albert (UMKC) 6-3, 6-4
4. Denise Van Der Ben (NMSU) def. Mariam Kurasbediani (UMKC) 6-3, 6-1
5. Raquel Argenal (UMKC) def. Erika Castillo Lopez (NMSU) 4-6, 6-4, 7-5
6. Allie Schulte (UMKC) def. Marie-Pier Thiffault (NMSU) 2-6, 6-3, 6-4
1. Alcaraz/Lopez (NMSU) def. M. Schulte/Stavrianakou (UMKC) 8-3
2. Shrivistava/Van Der Ben (NMSU) def. A. Schulte/Amsaliem (UMKC) 8-6
3. Kaur/Thiffault (NMSU) def. Albert/Linda Ammar Mouhoub (UMKC) 8-5