Courtesy of NMSU
SAN ANTONIO, Texas– The New Mexico State men’s tennis team began an action-packed week with a 4-2 win on Tuesday against Alabama-Birmingham in San Antonio, Texas.
The Aggies improved to 4-10 overall, while the Blazers fell to 5-8 overall.
NM State got things started by winning the doubles point for the third-consecutive dual-match.
UAB managed to claim the first doubles’ match on court No. 1. However, the Aggies picked-up the doubles’ point by winning the matches on court No. 2 and No. 3.
Senior Germain Gegardin and sophomore Charles Baron claimed NM State’s first win of the day with a 6-3 decision over Christopher Egan Morriss and Trey McCombs.
At the No. 3 spot, freshman Christofer Goncalves and senior Patrick Pfister clinched the doubles’ point for the Aggies by defeating Mitchell Martell and Henry Paiste.
In a heavily-contested battle during singles’ play, NM State’s bottom portion of the line-up was the difference.
While No. 2. Paul Denele and No. 3 Goncalves dropped their respective matches, Pfister, Degardin and Liam Goldberg did enough to clinch the Aggie victory.
On court No. 4, Pfister defeated Stephan Vancurik, 6-1, 6-1, while Goldberg picked-up a 6-2, 7-6 victory over Oliver Poysti on court No. 5. At the six spot, Degardin won his match 6-4, 6-4 against Morriss.
The Aggies will look to extend their two dual-match winning streak against UT-San Antonio on Wednesday at 11 a.m. (MT).
Alabama-Birmingham vs. NM State Men’s Tennis
March 24, 2015 San Antonio, Texas
1. Strahinja Trecakov (NMSU) vs. Mitchell Martell (UAB) 3-6, 6-1, 3-4 DNF
2. Donovan McSeveney (UAB) def. Paul Denele (NMSU) 6-3, 6-1
3. Luiz Felipe Pinto (UAB) def. Christofer Goncalves (NMSU) 7-6, 0-2, Ret.
4. Patrick Pfister (NMSU) def. Stephan Vancurik (UAB) 6-1, 6-1
5. Liam Goldberg (NMSU) def. Oliver Poysti (UAB) 6-2, 7-6
6. Germain Degardin (NMSU) def. Christopher Egan Morriss (UAB) 6-4, 6-4
1. McSeveney/Pinto (UAB) def. Denele/Thomas Douglas (NMSU) 6-3
2. Degardin/Charles Baron (NMSU) def. Morriss/Trey McCombs (UAB) 6-3
3. Goncalves/Pfister (NMSU) def. Martell/Henry Paiste (UAB) 7-6