Courtesy of NMSU
EDINBURG, Texas– The New Mexico State men’s tennis team began Western Athletic Conference play on a high note with a 4-3 win over Missouri-Kansas City on Friday in Edinburg, Texas.
The Aggies improved to 5-11 on the season, while the ‘Roos dropped to 8-9.
After being swept in doubles, the Aggies came back to win four singles’ matches, all coming from the bottom of the lineup.
“After a slow start in doubles, we came out strong for the singles,” NM State head coach Carlos Vargas said. “I’m proud of the way our team fought back against a very good UMKC team.”
The ‘Roos started strong by claiming all three doubles’ matches.
The No. 1 UMKC duo of Mike Psarros and Airam Castellano defeated Paul Denele and Thomas Douglas, 8-2, while Andrey Smirnov and Uldis Gaismins picked-up an 8-3 victory on court No. 2 over Germain Degardin and Charles Baron. The ‘Roos completed the doubles sweep when Conner Edwards and Amaury Navette downed Patrick Pfister and Christofer Goncalves, 8-6.
The resilient Aggies its the No. 3, 4, 5 and 6 individuals to complete the comeback.
NM State’s No. 1 individual Strahinja Trecakov lost 6-1, 6-4, while No. 2 Denele dropped a heavily contested 6-1, 3-6, 6-3 match to Smirnov. Degardin began the Aggie rally on court No. 6 with a dominating win over Psarros, 6-2, 6-0. At the No. 5 spot, junior Liam Goldberg defeated Edwards, 6-3, 6-2. Goncalves and Pfister each took care of their opponents with two-set performances to guarantee the Aggie victory.
Thursday was NM State’s fourth consecutive WAC opening victory.
The Aggies continue WAC play on Saturday at 5:30 p.m. (MT) when they face UT-Pan American.
NM State vs. Missouri-Kansas City Men’s Tennis
March 27, 2015 Edinburg, Texas
1. Airam Castellano (UMKC) def. Strahinja Trecakov (NMSU) 6-1, 6-4
2. Andrey Smirnov (UMKC) def. Paul Denele (NMSU) 6-1, 3-6, 6-3
3. Christofer Goncalves (NMSU) def. Vinh Pham (UMKC) 6-2, 6-4
4. Patrick Pfister (NMSU) def. Uldis Gaismins (UMKC) 6-1, 6-4
5. Liam Goldberg (NMSU) def. Conner Edwards (UMKC) 6-3, 6-2
6. Germain Degardin (NMSU) def. Mike Psarros (UMKC) 6-2, 6-0
1. Psarros/Castellano (UMKC) def. Denele/Thomas Douglas (NMSU) 8-2
2. Smirnov/Gaismins (UMKC) def. Degardin/Charles Baron (NMSU) 8-3
3. Edwards/Amaury Navette (UMKC) def. Pfister/Goncalves (NMSU) 8-6