Courtesy of NMSU
EDINBURG, Texas– The New Mexico State men’s tennis team has kicked it up a notch during conference play, as the Aggies won its second Western Athletic Conference games in as many days.
NM State defeated UT-Pan American, 4-3, Saturday in Edinburg, Texas. The Aggies improved to 6-11 overall and 2-0 in WAC play, while the Broncs fell to 5-10 overall and 1-1 in WAC competition.
Saturday was NM State’s third win in the last four dual-matches.
Against UTPA, the Aggies were unable to get off to the start they wanted to, as they were swept in doubles play.
The Broncs’ No. 1 duo of Juan Cruz Soria and Koby Jansen defeated Paul Denele and Thomas Douglas, 8-2. On court No. 2, Ethan Ammon and Hector Ramirez claimed a 8-5 victory over Christofer Goncalves and Patrick Pfister. UTPA’s No. 3 doubles’ team of Miguel Alvarez-Hevia and Elliot Johnstone beat Germain Degardin and Charles Baron, 8-4.
For the second-consecutive match, NM State depended on its bottom portion of the singles line-up.
Pfister, Degardin and Liam Goldberg all pick-up two-set victories at the No. 3, 4 and 5 singles stop.
Denele claimed the final and decisive match when he defeated Ramirez in a three-set thriller, 2-6, 6-3, 6-4.
The Aggies will conclude the opening WAC weekend against Grand Canyon on Sunday at 8:00 a.m. (MT).
NM State at UT-Pan American Men’s Tennis
March 28, 2015 Edinburg, Texas
1. Juan Cruz Soria (UTPA) def. Strahinja Trecakov (NMSU) 6-2, 6-3
2. Paul Denele (NMSU) def. Hector Ramirez (UTPA) 2-6, 6-3, 6-4
3. Koby Jansen (UTPA) def. Christofer Goncalves (NMSU) 6-2, 6-7 (1-7), 6-1
4. Patrick Pfister (NMSU) def. Miguel Alvarez-Hevia (UTPA) 6-3, 6-3
5. Liam Goldberg (NMSU) def. Nikola Crvelin (UTPA) 6-3, 6-0
6. Germain Degardin (NMSU) def. Elliot Johnstone (UTPA) 6-2, 6-2
1. Soria/Jansen (UTPA) def. Denele/Thomas Douglas (NMSU) 8-2
2. Ethan Ammon/Ramirez (UTPA) def. Goncalves/Pfister (NMSU) 8-5
3. Alvarez-Hevia/Johnstone (UTPA) def. Degardin/Charles Baron (NMSU) 8-4