Courtesy of NMSU
EDINBURG, Texas– The New Mexico State men’s tennis team concluded the opening weekend of Western Athletic Conference play with a 4-3 victory over Grand Canyon on Sunday in Edinburg, Texas.
NM State improved to 7-11 overall on the season and 3-0 in WAC play, while the Lopes fell to 9-9 overall and 1-2 in the WAC.
This is the second-consecutive season that the Aggies have started 3-0 in conference play.
In its first two conference dual-matches, NM State dropped the doubles point. Sunday was no different as GCU won two of the three doubles’ matches to claim the initial point.
“It was a big battle again today,” NM State head coach Carlos Vargas said. “We were competitive in doubles but felt short again.”
The Lopes’ No. 1 doubles’ team of Philip Kuehnen and Adrian Legarreta defeated Paul Denele and Strahinja Trecakov , , while Meidy Chazeau and Gregoire Balenci claimed a win against Germain Degardin and Charles Baron. The Lone Aggie victory in doubles came when freshman Christofer Goncalves and senior Patrick Pfister teamed-up to beat Felix Schueller and Alexander Roggenkamp.
The dual-match was knotted up 3-3 after NM State had claimed three singles’ matches and GCU had won two. On court No. 3, Goncalves dropped the first set 6-7 to Legarreta, but then came back to win the second set 6-4 and the third set 6-4 to complete the comeback and clinch the Aggie victory.
“He (Goncalves) came up with the goods in the third set,” Vargas said. “That match was our most dramatic finish this week.”
Trecakov, Pfister and Degardin all picked-up two-set victories respectively to help the Aggies win its fourth dual-match this week.
NM State will hit the court again on Saturday in Santa Barbara, Calif. to face UC Santa Barbara, and on Sunday, the Aggies will face Loyola Marymount. The start times for both dual-matches will be announced later in the week.
NM State vs. Grand Canyon Men’s Tennis
March 29, 2015 Edinburg, Texas
1. Strahinja Trecakov (NMSU) def. Schueller, Felix (GCU) 6-4, 6-3
2. Roggenkamp, Alexande (GCU) def. Paul Denele (NMSU) 6-3, 6-3
3. Christofer Goncalves (NMSU) def. Legarreta, Adrian (GCU) 5-7, 6-4, 6-4
4. Patrick Pfister (NMSU) def. Chazeau, Meidy (GCU) 6-2, 2-6, 6-1
5. Kuehnen, Philip (GCU) def. Liam Goldberg (NMSU) 6-3, 7-5
6. Germain Degardin (NMSU) def. Balenci, Gregoire (GCU) 6-4, 6-0
1. Kuehnen/Legarreta (GCU) def. Trecakov/Pfister (NMSU) 8-5
2. Goncalves/Pfister (NMSU) def. Schueller/Roggenkamp (GCU) 8-4
3. Chazeau/Balenci (GCU) def. Degardin/Charles Baron (NMSU) 8-7 (7-5)