Courtesy of NMSU
Phoenix– The New Mexico State women’s tennis team defeated UT-Pan American 5-2 Sunday in Phoenix to remain unbeaten in Western Athletic Conference play.
“It was a great win for us today to stay undefeated in the WAC,” NM State head coach Ivan Fernandez said.
The Aggies improve to 11-8 overall and 4-0 in the WAC, while the Broncs fell to 7-11 overall and 1-2 in conference play.
NM State got things started by sweeping the doubles point. On court No. 1, NM State’s duo of Susana Alcaraz and Erika Castillo Lopez defeated Katia Stravroulaki and Reegan Greenwood, 8-6. The No. 2 Aggies doubles’ team of Ashvarya Shrivistava and Denise Van Der Ben claimed a 8-2 victory over Mariana Ranzahuer and Lison Le Biavant. Mia Brandt and Marie-Pier Thiffault were paired together for the first time this season, and won 8-4 in court No. 3.
Mia (Brandt) and Marie (Thiffault) played well together in doubles for the first times,” Fernandez said.
In singles’ play, the Aggies used the top of its line up to put away the Broncs. Shrivistava defeated Stravroulaki, 4-6, 7-5, 6-3, on court No. 1, while Alcaraz shutout Dominique Esparza, 6-0, 6-0, in the No. 2 spot. Van Der Ben won a three-set match against Greenwood, while Castillo dispatched Christel Amsallem.
UTPA’s lone two points came when Mariana Ranzahuer defeated Brandt, 6-0, 6-3, and Natacha Minc beat Thiffault, 6-4, 6-2.
The Aggies will face Grand Canyon Saturday at 11:30 a.m. (MT) to conclude the WAC regular season.
NM State vs. UT-Pan American Women’s Tennis
April 3, 2015 Phoenix, Ariz.
1. Ashvarya Shrivastava (NMSU) def. Katia Stavroulaki (UTPA) 4-6, 7-5, 6-3
2. Susana Alcaraz (NMSU) def. Dominique Esparza (UTPA) 6-0-, 6-0
3. Denise Van Der Ben (NMSU) def. Reegan Greenwood (UTPA) 6-4, 5-7, 6-3
4. Erika Castillo (NMSU) def. Christel Amsallem (UTPA) 6-1, 6-2
5. Mariana Ranzahuer (UTPA) def. Mia Brandt (NMSU) 6-0, 6-3
6. Natacha Minc (UTPA) def. Marie-Pier Thiffault (NMSU) 6-4, 6-2
1. Alcaraz/Castillo (NMSU) def. Stavroulaki/Greenwood (UTPA) 8-6
2. Shrivastava/Van Der Ben (NMSU) def. Ranzahuer/Lison Le Biavant (UTPA) 8-2
3. Brandt/Thiffault (NMSU) def. Esparza/Amsallem (UTPA) 8-4