Courtesy of NMSU
KANSAS CITY, Mo.– The New Mexico State women’s tennis team advanced to the 2015 WAC Championship after defeating Seattle U 4-0 in the semifinals Saturday night in Kansas City, Mo.
The Aggies will look to win their first ever conference championship on Sunday at 8 a.m. (MT) against UT-Pan American.
NM State began Sunday’s semifinal by winning two of the three doubles matches.
The Aggies No. 2 pairing of Ashvarya Shrivistava and Denise Van Der Ben got things started by picking up an 8-1 victory over Madison Maloney and Barbara Ann Carey.
After NM State’s No. 1 duo of Susana Alcaraz and Erika Castillo Lopez dropped an 8-5 decision, Rimpledeep Kaur and Marie-Pier Thiffault clinched the doubles’ point with an 8-7 thriller over Kristen James and Kailyn Skjonbsy.
In singles’ play, the Aggies claimed the necessary two wins via the No. 2 and No. 6 spots. Alcaraz defeated Kelli Woodman 6-4, 6-2 on court No. 2, while Thiffault clinched the Aggie victory with a 6-2, 6-4 performance against Audrey Scott.
The remainder singles’ matches went unfinished.
NM State vs. Seattle U Women’s Tennis
April 25, 2015 WAC Championships Semifinal Kansas City, Mo.
1. Ashvarya Shrivistava (NMSU) vs. Michelle Lui (SU) 3-6, 5-4, unfinished
2. Susana Alcaraz (NMSU) def. Kelli Woodman (SU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Denise Van Der Ben (NMSU) def. Madison Maloney (SU) 7-5, 6-1
4. Erika Castillo Lopez (NMSU) vs. Barbara Ann Carey (SU) 5-7, 4-4, unfinished
5. Mia Brandt (NMSU) vs. Kristen James (SU) 6-3, 5-5, unfinished
6. Marie-Pier Thiffault (NMSU) def. Audrey Scott (SU) 6-2, 6-4
1. Michelle Lui/Kelli Woodman (SU) def. Susana Alcaraz/Erika Castillo Lopez (NMSU) 8-5
2. Ashvarya Shrivistava/Denise Van Der Ben (NMSU) def. Madison Maloney/Barbara Ann Carey (SU) 8-1
3. Rimpledeep Kaur/Marie-Pier Thiffault (NMSU) def. Kristen James/Kailyn Skjonsby (SU) 8-7 (10-6)