Courtesy of NMSU
KANSAS CITY, Mo.– The New Mexico State men’s tennis team advanced to the 2015 Western Athletic Conference Championship after defeating Seattle U 4-0 in the semifinals Saturday night in Kansas City, Mo.
The Aggies return to the same spot where they ended their 2014 campaign, and will have a shot to win their first conference championship on Sunday at 1 p.m. (MT) against UT-Pan American.
NM State began Saturday’s semifinal by claiming two of the three doubles’ matches.
The Aggies No. 1 duo of Strahinja Trecakov and Liam Goldberg defeated Riley Newman and Ian Clare, 8-5, while the NM State pairing of Christofer Goncalves and Patrick Pfister picked up an 8-4 victory over Tanner Berkabile and Matt Alderson on court No. 2. The lone Seattle U doubles’ win came in the No. 3 spot when John Stormas and Connor Leahy defeated Germain Degardin and Charles Baron, 8-3.
In singles’ play, the Aggies earned three victories via their bottom portion of the line up.
Pfister was the first off his court after he defeated Berkabile, 6-0, 6-3 in the No. 4 spot. Goldberg then ousted Leahy, 7-5, 6-1, on court No. 5, while Degardin used a 6-2 6-3 performance to clinch the Aggie victory.
NM State vs. Seattle U Men’s Tennis
April 25, 2015 WAC Championship Semifinals Kansas City, Mo.
1. Strahinja Trecakov (NMSU) vs. Riley Newman (SU), DNF
2. Paul Denele (NMSU) vs. John Stormans (SU), DNF
3. Christofer Goncalves (NMSU) vs. Ian Clare (SU), DNF
4. Patrick Pfister (NMSU) def. Tanner Berkabile (SU), 6-0, 6-3
5. Liam Goldberg (NMSU) def. Connor Leahy (SU), 7-5, 6-1
6. Germain Degardin (NMSU) def. Matthew Alderson (SU), 6-2, 6-3
1. Strahinja Trecakov/Liam Goldberg (NMSU) def. Riley Newman/Ian Clare (SU), 8-5
2. Christofer Goncalves/Patrick Pfister (NMSU) def. Tanner Berkabile/Matt Alderson (SU), 8-4
3. John Stormans/Connor Leahy (SU) def. Germain Degardin/Charles Baron (NMSU), 8-3