KANSAS CITY, Mo.– The New Mexico men’s tennis team won its first Western Athletic Conference tournament championship with a thrilling 4-3 comeback victory over UT-Pan American in Sunday’s championship match.
The top-seeded Aggies trailed after doubles’ play, but won four singles’ matches including a three-set battle on court No. 3 between NM State freshman Christofer Goncalves and Koby Jansen. Goncalves dropped the first set, 3-6, but came back in the second set to win 7-5, then won the third set 7-5, to clinch the Aggies first conference tournament championship.
With the win, NM State also guaranteed a spot in the 2015 NCAA Tournament, it will be its first tournament appearance since 2000.
The Aggies also earned several WAC postseason accolades. Head coach Carlos Vargas was named WAC Coach of the Year, while Goncalves was named WAC Freshman of the Year, and was selected to the All-WAC First Team in singles.
Senior Patrick Pfister was also named to the first team, while fellow senior Germain Degardin earned second team honors.
Pfister and Goncavles were named to the second team on the doubles’ side.
After dropping the doubles’ point on Sunday, the Aggies began their comeback with Pfister claiming a 6-1, 6-0 victory over Elliot Johnstone on court No. 3. Degardin and junior Liam Goldberg picked up two more points for NM State with two-set victories, respectively.
The Aggies now await the NCAA selection committees decision on Tuesday, to learn who they will paly in the NCAA Tournament (May 14-25).
NM State vs. UT-Pan American Men’s Tennis
April 26, 2015 WAC Championship Kansas City, Mo.
1. Juan Cruz Soria (UTPA) def. Strahinja Trecakov (NMSU) 6-1, 4-6, 6-4
2. Hector Ramirez (UTPA) def. Paul Denele (NMSU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Christofer Goncalves (NMSU) def. Koby Jansen (UTPA) 3-6, 7-5, 7-5
4. Patrick Pfister (NMSU) def. Elliot Johnstone (UTPA) 6-1, 6-0
5. Liam Goldberg (NMSU) def. Miguel Alvarez Hevia (UTPA) 6-4, 6-2
6. Germain Degardin (NMSU) def. Ethan Ammon (UTPA) 6-1, 6-1
1. Juan Cruz Soria/Koby Jansen (UTPA) def. Strahinja Trecakov/Liam Goldberg (NMSU) 8-6
2. Ethan Ammon/Hector Ramirez (UTPA) def. Christofer Goncalves/Patrick Pfister (NMSU) 8-6
3. Paul Denele/Germain Degardin (NMSU) vs. Nikola Crvelin/Elliot Johnstone (UTPA) 4-3, unfinished