Courtesy of NMSU
NORMAN, Okla.– The New Mexico State men’s tennis team lost to No. 1 Oklahoma, 4-0, in the first round of the 2015 NCAA Regional Championships Friday in Norman, Okla.
The Aggies end their 2015 season with an 11-14 record overall while the top-ranked Sooners improved to 24-2 overall.
Oklahoma got things started by winning the doubles point. The Sooners No. 1 paring of Andrew Harris and Alex Ghilea shutout juniors Strahinja Trecakov and Liam Goldberg on court No. 1.
The Aggies, however, did manage to claim a victory in doubles’ play when freshman Christofer Goncalves and senior Patrick Pfister picked-up a 8-4 win over Spencer Papa and Dane Webb.
In the No. 3 spot, Jose Salazar and Axel Alvarez defeated seniors Germain Degardin and Paul Denele, 8-6, to clinch the initial point for the Sooners.
In singles’ play, Oklahoma used two-set performances from Alvarez, Harris and Ghilea to claim the Sooner victory.
Trecakov, Denele and Pfister all fell in singles’ play.
NM State men’s tennis returns seven players from the 2014-15 roster that will compete in the 2015-16 season.
NM State at Oklahoma Men’s Tennis
May 8, 2015 Norman, Okla. 2015 NCAA Regional First Round
1. Axel Alvarez (OU) def. Strahinja Trecakov (NMSU) 6-0, 6-0
2. Andrew Harris (OU) def. Paul Denele (NMSU) 6-2, 6-1
3. Dane Webb (OU) vs. Christofer Goncalves (NMSU) 6-3, 4-3, unfinished
4. Alex Ghilea (OU) def. Patrick Pfister (NMSU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Spencer Papa (OU) vs. Liam Goldberg (NMSU) 6-2, 4-4, unfinished
6. Jose Salazar (OU) vs. Germain Degardin (NMSU) 6-2, 5-1, unfinished
1. Andrew Harris/Alex Ghilea (OU) def. Strahinja Trecakov/Liam Goldberg (NMSU) 8-0
2. Christofer Goncalves/Patrick Pfister (NMSU) def. Spencer Papa/Dane Webb (OU) 8-4
3. Jose Salazar/Axel Alvarez (OU) def. Germain Degardin/Paul Denele (NMSU) 8-6